In 1721, the king granted the community new trading privileges and a Rytterskole, a precursor of the Danish public school, was built the following year.
Valby became particularly associated with raising poultry which the Valby women sold beside the Caritas Well on Gammeltorv in Copenhagen.
In 1901, the Valby area was transferred to Copenhagen Municipality and became increasingly urbanized, with both new residential areas and industry.
Ole Olsen established the Nordisk Film film studios in 1906.
Both during the civil war leading up to the Reformation (1533–1536) and during the Assault on Copenhagen in the Second Northern War, Valby was faced with almost complete destruction (1658–60), leading to deep poverty for the communities.